This guide will help a new user get started Hosting a Meeting. The table of contents will allow you quick access to each section of this guide. If you need further assistance, please contact our Technical Support department.
- 1 Host Login
- 2 Joining, Creating and Ending a Meeting
- 3 Teleconferencing Options
- 4 Stream Options
- 5 Flash Video & Audio Settings
- 6 Inside the Meeting Room
- 7 Host Options
- 7.1 User Rights
- 7.2 Invitations
- 7.3 Polls
- 7.4 Seating
- 7.5 Surveys
- 7.6 Video Layout
- 7.7 High Quality Video
- 7.8 Clear Chat History
- 7.9 FLV Player
- 7.10 Recording
- 7.11 Noteboard
- 7.12 Whiteboard
- 7.13 Connection Info
- 7.14 Meeting Info
- 8 ShowMyDesktop
- 9 Computer Sharing
- Open the web browser of your choice (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc..)
- Enter the URL that was created for your organization (Example: http://yourcompanyname.megameeting.com)
- Make sure you do not put 'www' before the company name
- Once loaded, click Host
- Enter the User Name and Password provided by MegaMeeting or your account administrator
Joining, Creating and Ending a Meeting
Join a Meeting
- Select an existing meeting from the drop-down menu that you wish to attend and click Join
Create a Meeting
- Meeting Name: The name you will give to others to join your meeting.
- Scheduled Date: The Date of your meeting.
- Scheduled Time: The Time of your meeting.
- Password (optional): The password required to attend your meeting.
- Auto-accept Attendees: If checked, automatically allow new Guests into the meeting; if not checked, Host will be required to accept / deny a request for each new attendee.
- Join this meeting now: If checked, automatically sends the Host into the newly created meeting. If not checked, the Host will return to the Host Options window when the meeting is created.
- Email Invitations...: See Invitations
- Advanced>>: Expands the Create a Meeting window and displays the advanced options. To learn more, see Create a Meeting: Advanced Options.
- OK: Creates the Meeting based on the selected options.
- Cancel: Closes Create a Meeting panel without saving any of the Meeting options.
Create a Meeting: Advanced Options
- Collect guest email addresses: If checked, prompts Guests to enter Email address information upon entering the meeting; stores the data for report data.
- Collect guest phone numbers: If checked, prompts Guests to enter Phone number information upon entering the meeting; stores the data for report data.
- Require guests to register: If checked, requires users Register for the meeting. For more information about registration, please see the Registration article.
- Hide the user list: If checked, does not display Guest names in meeting room; also removes private chat option between Guests / Host.
- Persistent chat: If checked, stores chat from beginning of meeting and displays entire chat to new Guests entering the room.
- Show this meeting in meetinglist.html: If checked, meeting appears on Meetings.html page for your company.
- Video Frame Rate: The number of frames sent per second (fps). Value between 1- 10.
- Video Resolution: Size of video windows. Depending on the Host bandwidth allotment, this value can be up to 960x720.
- Video Quality: Detail of each individual frame. Value between 0 (variable) - 100 (high quality).
- Teleconferencing Options...: See Teleconferencing Options
- Streaming Options...: See Stream Options
End a Meeting
- Select an existing meeting from the drop-down menu that you wish to end and click End
- Use Toll-Free Conferencing: If you have signed up for Toll-Free Conferencing, enter the pre-assigned Call In #, Moderator Code and Attendee Code. Attendee Code and Call In # will be included in Email invites and displayed in the meeting room.
- Use Toll Conferencing: System will auto-generate a phone number for guests to call-in. Phone number will be included in Email invites and displayed in the meeting room. For information about moderator commands, see teleconferencing codes.
- In addition to the moderator controls listed above, one can also record the conference call by hitting *9.
- You will be asked for a Recording Number. Enter any number you please. Your guests will need this number when they playback the recorded conference call.
- At the end of the recording, hit *9 again to stop the recording.
- To playback a recoded conference call, dial (504) 353-1019 .
- Enter the Access Code and Recording Number to playback the recorded conference call.
- No Phone Conferencing: Default setting; for meetings that will not use a call-in option.
- Streaming Options will effect the video / audio streams and other data being sent between meeting participants.
- Checking the lower boxes will limit video / audio streams and decrease the amount of bandwidth being utilized during meetings.
- Stream Recommendations:
- 1-20 participants - Normal Streaming
- 21-40 participants - Restrict Guest to Guest streaming
- 41-60 participants - Restrict all Guest streaming
- 60+ participants - No streaming
- Note; Higher Frame Rate, Resolution, and Quality settings increase bandwidth consumption and thus may effect overall meeting performance.
Flash Video & Audio Settings
- Right-click anywhere on the MegaMeeting screen to display the Flash settings options
- Settings...: Select Settings to display the Adobe Flash Player Settings box.
- About Adobe Flash Player [X]...: Shows the current version of Flash installed on your machine. MegaMeeting requires Flash Player 7 or higher.
- Enable Hardware Acceleration improves performance speed of Flash movies. If interface is slow or choppy, try unchecking this option.
- Make sure Allow is checked, which will grant MegaMeeting the ability to use your Camera and Microphone. By checking Remember, this setting will be held in memory and the system will not ask you again.
- Set the bar to at least 100k to ensure MegaMeeting functions properly.
- Select your Microphone device from the drop-down menu. Adjust the volume as needed for microphone loudness.
- Select your Camera device from the drop-down menus.
Inside the Meeting Room
- The Video Window displays your image to everyone inside of the Meeting. Subsequent Video Windows will appear next to it for each Guest. You can click and drag this window anywhere on the screen. To enlarge the screen, locate the lower-right corner, then click and drag.
- The Voice Over IP (VOIP) Audio Box is your way to control the audio for your connection.
- Press and hold the Hold to Transmit button to transmit audio to everyone in the conference, much like a walkie-talkie.
- Click the Lock button to enable full duplex mode. This will allow you to speak and receive audio freely without holding down the Hold to Transmit button.
- Adjust the Mic Volume level to increase or decrease the loudness of your voice.
- Note; locking audio is recommended only if you and your participants are using headsets to communicate and not external speakers.
- The User Name List displays the names of all participants currently in the Meeting.
- An Orange Arrow to the left of a user's name denotes the Host of the Meeting.
- A Camera or Microphone to the left of a user's name denotes what he / she is currently transmitting to the room.
- The Main Chat Window displays all public messages being sent to and from users in the Meeting. If given rights, users can click on a name in the Main Chat Window to conduct a private chat with the selected user.
- Turn Video On / Off toggles your video video feed on or off. This affects your view as well as everyone else in the room.
- Video Options allows you to change the video settings for all feeds coming into the room. Allows you to preview the video setting when making changes.
- Chat Window toggles the Main Chat Window visible or hidden.
- ShowMyDesktop allows the Host to share his / her desktop with the attendees of the meeting. For more information, see ShowMyDesktop.
- Computer Sharing allows another attendee to take control of your computer and enables file transfer. For more information, see Computer Sharing.
- Host Options are advanced options for your meeting. For more information, see Host Options.
- Help will bring up the MegaMeeting help system.
- Toggles Full Screen mode.
- Toggles Tool Tips on / off.
- Disconnect from the current Meeting and return to the Host Options page.
- Quit the current Meeting and exit MegaMeeting entirely. This option will log you out of the MegaMeeting system.
- User Rights: See User Rights
- Invitations: See Invitations
- Polls: See Polls
- Seating: See Seating
- Surveys: See Surveys
- Video Layout': See Video Layout
- High Quality Video: See High Quality Video
- Broadcast Interface: See Video Layout
- Clear Chat History: See Clear Chat History
- FLV Player: See FLV Player
- Noteboard: See Noteboard
- Whiteboard: See Whiteboard
- Connection Info: See Connection Info
- Meeting Info: See Meeting Info
- The User Rights panel allows the Host to control meeting elements such as Video, Audio, Chat, Computer Sharing and Presenter Privileges for all participants in your Meeting.
- User Name: DEFAULT denotes the settings that each new user will have upon entering the Meeting.
- Move User will allow the host to move one of the participants to another meeting room.
- Kick User will remove the selected user from the Meeting.
- Ban User will remove the selected user from the Meeting and will not allow him / her re-entrance into the Meeting.
- Lock Now will allow the host to turn on a user's microphone when selecting their name.
- Unlock Now will allow the host to turn off a user's microphone.
- Copy To All will duplicate the settings of the selected participant to all others inside the Meeting.
- Apply Settings will cause any active changes to take affect.
- Host Name is the name that will appear on the From section of the generated Email. It corresponds with the name of the Meeting Host.
- Meeting Name will appear in the Subject line of the generated Email.
- Comment will appear in part of the Body of the generated Email, in addition to other pertinent information about the Meeting (date, time, link, etc).
- Stored Contacts are email addresses that have been added through the Manage Contacts window or through the Outlook Meeting Addin.
- Email is the address of the desired recipient. There is no limit to the number of recipients for an Email invitation.
- Add to Recipients adds the address from the Email field to the Recipients list.
- Recipients is the combined total of Email addresses that will receive the Meeting Invitation.
- New will display the Create / Edit Polls window.
- Edit will display the Create / Edit Polls window for an existing poll.
- Delete will remove a poll from the list. You will no longer be able to access this poll from the current or any future Meeting.
- Results will display the Poll Results window.
- If Current Poll displays the name of your poll and Display Results displays "none", the poll results will be visible to the Host only.
- If Current Poll displays "none" and Display Results displays the name of your poll, the poll results will be visible to the Meeting Guests only.
- If Current Poll displays the name of your poll and Display Results displays the name of your poll, the poll results will be visible to the Host and the Meeting Guests.
Create / Edit Polls
- Enter the poll subject in the Question field.
- Enter a response choice in the Answer field.
- Add will place the contents of the Answer field into the list of active response choices.
- Delete will remove the selected field from the available Answers.
- Save will close the Create / Edit Polls window and add the newly created poll the available list.
- This is a detailed bar graph showing the possible poll responses and the percentage of guests that chose each option.
- Show Feedback List will display a drop-down box beneath your Voice Over IP (VOIP) Audio Box.
- This allows Meeting participants to communicate useful information with the Host, such as whether or not they have a question (hand raised), whether or not the Host is going too slow or too fast, etc.
- Responses will be displayed in the attendee list drop down and seating chart box.
- Results will open the Survey Results window for the selected survey. You must select a survey from the Existing Surveys list first.
- New will open the Create / Edit Survey window which will allow the Host to create a new survey.
- Edit will open the Create / Edit Survey window which allows the Host to change settings for an existing survey.
- Delete will remove the selected survey from the list. It will no longer be accessible in any Meeting.
- To present a survey to the participants in the Meeting, select it from the Active survey drop-down box.
- Check the Survey Completion Required checkbox to require completion of the survey from each Guest. You must select a survey from the Existing Surveys list first.
Create / Edit Survey
- Enter the name of the survey in the Survey Title textbox.
- A brief summary of the survey can be entered in the Welcome Msg textbox. The Welcome Msg will always appear before the first question.
- New... will open the Create / Edit Survey Item window and allow the Host to add a question to the survey.
- Edit... will open the Create / Edit Survey Item window and allow the Host to edit an existing question on the survey. You must select an item from the Survey Items list first.
- Delete will remove a question from the survey. Once an item is removed, it cannot be restored. You must select an item from the Survey Items list first.
- Move Up and Move Down will adjust the position of existing questions on the survey, respectively. You must select an item from the Survey Items list first.
- Once the survey is satisfactory, the Save button will add the survey to the selectable list.
Create / Edit Survey Item
- Enter the name of the question in the Question textbox.
- The Type drop-down box is used to select the method with which Meeting Participants will answer a question. The options are as follows:
- Text Field (standard field) - Allows for one line of written text.
- Comment Field (comment / essay style) - Allows for a paragraph to be written.
- Check Boxes (select all that apply) - Participants can select any number of answers you've given them to choose from.
- Radio Buttons (select one) - Participants can select one answer from the answers you've given them to choose from.
- Drop Down (preset items or enter unique) - Participants can enter their own answer or choose one from the drop down menu.
- Check Require response if the question is mandatory and cannot be skipped.
- Enter a possible answer to the question in the Answers textbox.
- The answers are predetermined responses your guests will be able to choose from. You must enter at least two answers. Only to be user with Check Boxes, Radio Buttons, and Drop Down types.
- Add will include the text currently inside the Answers textbox as a possible answer to the survey question.
- Delete will remove an existing question from the list of possible answers to the survey question.
- Once the survey item is ready, the Save button will add it to the Survey Items section of the Create / Edit Survey window.
- The User ID field will display the name and IP address of each user that participated in the survey. Each column to the right of User ID will be labeled with the questions contained in the survey.
- View All Output will display the results in a text-only format for the Host to view.
- Clear All Responses will clear all data inside the Responses section.
- Tile: Default video layout. Videos are arranged by order of entry, from left to right, top to bottom.
- Horizontal: Videos are arranged in the middle of the meeting window. They scale in size depending on the number of users currently in the meeting.
- Alphabetical Order: This option will organize the attendees alphabetically by user name.
- Connection Order: This is the default option. It will organize the attendees based on the order in which they entered the Meeting.
- Custom Order: If selected, the Define Order button will become selectable. See Define Custom Order for details.
- No Video Windows: This option will remove all video feeds from the room. It will not remove any attendees, only their video windows.
- Broadcast Video Size and Position: Allows the host to control the size and placement of the video windows that all attendees see in the meeting room. Once in place, the attendees cannot alter these settings.
- To set, adjust the size and placement of the Host video windows as desired, then click Enable Now. The Enable Now button will change to Disable Now.
- To release, click Disable Now. All attendees windows will revert to their original settings.
- Apply: Will put selected options into affect for the Meeting and keep the Video Layout window open for further tweaking.
- OK: Will put selected options into affect for the Meeting and close the Video Layout window.
- Cancel: Will close the Video Layout window without making any changes to the meeting.
Define Custom Order
- Available Videos is a list of current attendees in the meeting with a video stream. They are defined by their user name.
- To adjust the customer order of the videos (this means the order in which they appear, from left to right), select a user name from the Available Videos list and click the >> button to move it to the Custom Video Order column.
- When all desired feeds have been moved to the Custom Video Order column, select a user name and use the Up and Down buttons to further adjust the order in which you wish them to appear.
- Once the order is as desired, click the Close button to remove the Define Custom Order window and return the Video Layout window.
High Quality Video
- Frame Rate: The number of frames sent per second (fps). Value between 1- 10.
- Resolution: Size of video windows. Depending on the Host bandwidth allotment, this value can be up to 960x720.
- Quality: Detail of each individual frame. Value between 0 (variable) - 100 (high quality).
- User [X]: The User whose video is currently being edited, where [X] is equal to those attendees in the Meeting.
- Note; These settings depend on the Host Bandwidth Allotment. If you have questions about your current bandwidth allotment, please contact your MegaMeeting Representative for more information.
- Note; Higher Frame Rate, Resolution, and Quality settings increase bandwidth consumption and thus may effect overall meeting performance.
Clear Chat History
- Erases all text inside the Chat Window for all attendees inside the Meeting.
- Allows you to upload an FLV file to the meeting.
- FLV URL: Enter a URL for an FLV file to play in your meeting.
- Allow User to Control the Playback: People watching the FLV video will have a pause button when this checkbox is checked.
- Stop User Videos?: Click this checkbox if you want to turn off everyone's camera image while watching the FLV video.
- Play Now: Starts playback of FLV video.
- Stop: Stops playback of video.
- Close: Closes the FLV Player window.
- The files you play through this player must be uploaded to a website and must have a specific URL, otherwise, the FLV Player will not work.
- Supported filetypes - .flv, .f4v, .f4p, .f4a, .f4b, .mov, .mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .3gp
- PLEASE NOTE: MegaMeeting.com does not endorse, nor support any of the third party websites or third party software mentioned in this article!
- If you have a video that is not in one of these formats, you will need to convert your video to one of these formats. The most common formats are FLV, MOV, and MP4. Here are some links for conversion software - http://www.rivavx.com/index.php?encoder&L=3 and http://www.flv-converter.org/ - once again, please note that these are pieces of software that are not in relation with nor supported by MegaMeeting.
- Once your file is in the correct format, you will need to upload the file somewhere on the internet.
- If you host your own website or have access to the company that does host your site, the best thing to do is to upload the video there. After all is said and done, you will have a direct hyperlink to your video. This is the hyperlink you would paste into the FLV Player.
- If you do not want to host this video on your website, you will have to find another place to host it, as MegaMeeting cannot play the video directly from your computer. Most websites that host FLV videos will charge a fee to do so. There are a few places that will allow you to do so for free - photobucket and dropbox. The Amazon Web Services will charge to use this service, but all three will work.
- You can check out photobucket here - http://photobucket.com/ Once hosted, you will get a direct link to the video. Copy the link, delete the text "?action=view¤t=" from the direct link. Now you have a direct link to the file which you can paste into the FLV player window.
- To use photobucket, create an account and login.
- Click on the Upload now button at the top of the page and then Select photos and videos.
- Choose the video you'd like to upload and wait until it's completed.
- Upon completion, copy the Direct link for the video and remove the string - "?action=view¤t=" - from the link.
- Dropbox is another solution that can be found here - http://www.dropbox.com - please follow the steps below to upload your video file.
- Create an account for dropbox.
- Click on the Files tab.
- Click on Public folder and then Upload.
- Once uploaded, click on the arrow on the right and then Copy public link to receive the URL for the video.
- Paste this URL into the FLV Player window and click Play Now.
- If you have any questions, please call our technical support line – (818) 783-4311, ext. 1
Please see the main article for MegaMeeting's Recorder
- To erase the content of the Noteboard, click Clear.
- The Noteboard can be edited by anyone inside the Meeting.
- If an attendee is typing, the Make Changes button changes to In Use for other attendees inside the meeting. If an attendee finishes typing and forgets to press the Finished button, the Host may click Unlock to force that attendee making changes to finish. The board then becomes open to be edited by the rest of the attendees inside the Meeting.
- Link allows the attendee to enter a click-able link to an external website or document. Clicking the link from inside the Meeting will open a new browser window (or tab) to view the page.
- Whiteboard Surface: Anyone in the meeting can add to the Whiteboard surface. This includes all drawing, text and other tools.
- Set Background: Allows Host to add an image to the Whiteboard background. The file must be in a valid image format, such as .jpg, .gif or .png.
- Clear Whiteboard: Allows Host to remove everything from the Whiteboard surface (including any uploaded background images) and return it to it's original state.
- 1 of 3 (Pages): The Whiteboard can be "flipped" forward, revealing a new blank Whiteboard while keeping any previous changes intact. This allows the Host to upload several images to share with the meeting, without having to "clear" and upload again.
- Arrow: Clicking on this switches your mouse pointer back to a cursor.
- Text Tool: Select the text tool. Draw a box and switch back to the arrow tool to highlight the word Text and type into the text box.
- Stamp: This tool allows you draw certain shapes in the whiteboard.
- Pencil: Use your mouse to draw in the whiteboard. This can also be used with any kind of tablet or stylus as well.
- Line: Using this tool allows you to draw straight lines.
- Square, Circle and Triangle: Using these tools, you can draw these shapes in the whiteboard.
- The Ping is the amount of milliseconds it takes for the Host's computer to communicate with our servers (1000 Milliseconds = 1 Second). Generally, the number will jump anywhere between 40 and 1000; this is the normal range. If the number reaches or exceeds 2000 for more than 30 seconds, it is an indication that the Host's connection is of substandard quality and may effect the conferencing experience of all Guests in attendance.
- Toggles the Meeting Info Panel in the upper-right corner of the room on or off. This affects the view of the Host and all attendees.
- ShowMyDesktop is a MegaMeeting Professional feature that allows a Web Conference participant to show his/her screen to the other participants in an online meeting. ShowMyDesktop is Presentation Software built into MegaMeeting conferences that allows the sharing of a conference participant's screen, allowing the participant to Present any application to the other participants in the meeting room, while at the same time, sharing video and audio.
- What to Show determines which application is displayed to other attendees in a Meeting. The options are as follows:
- Entire Screen: This option will display the entire screen, including the active Meeting to other attendees.
- Select an Application: The user will be prompted to select an active application running on his / her computer to share with other attendees.
- Active Application: Selects the current active application to display to other attendees. Users can change the active program by pressing ALT + Shift.
- Other Device: User must select a device from the drop-down box to be displayed to other attendees inside the Meeting. This device can be a range of things, from a webcam to a screen capturing application.
- Other Options allow the user to select what portions of his / her Meeting interface (or other user's) to display during a ShowMyDesktop session. The options are as follows:
- Show Video Panel: Allows user to select a user's video panel they wish to include from the drop-down menu.
- Show Audio Panel: If checked, shows user's Voice Over IP (VOIP) Audio Box during the ShowMyDesktop session.
- Show Chat Panel: If checked, shows user's Chat Window during the ShowMyDesktop session.
- Allow Fit to Screen: If checked, allows user's to increase the ShowMyDesktop viewing area to fit their entire screen.
- Default to Enabled: If checked, will force Allow Fit to Screen functionality during ShowMyDesktop session.
- Allow Float Panels: If checked, allows user's to move video, chat and other panels around the viewable desktop during the ShowMyDesktop session. If a user moves panels, they will not affect the original panels on the Host's screen. This function can be turned on or off during the session.
- Default to Enabled: If checked, will force Allow Float Panels functionality during ShowMyDesktop session. Does not allow option to be turned on or off during session.
- Load Highlighter...: This feature allows the Host to draw / write on top of the screen (much like Microsoft Powerpoint). This is a plug-in that must be downloaded before being used.
For more information see: ShowMyDesktop Guide
- Allows a Host or Guest (when given rights) to take remote control of the others computer. This feature also allows a Host and Guest to transfer files and simultaneously see what is on the others computer screen.
- When a Host clicks on Computer Sharing..., he / she will be prompted to download the Computer Sharing software. When the dialog box appears, click save. Once the file has finished downloading, double-click it to begin the installation process.
- Once the installation is complete, a drop-down box will become available inside the Meeting when Computer Sharing... is clicked. Select the user you wish to give control to and click Send. The chosen attendee will be given a dialog box immediately followed by control of the Host computer.
- To turn off Computer Sharing at anytime, the attendee sharing his / her computer may press CTRL + ALT + DELETE from their machine.